Friday, August 6, 2010

US Transplant Games in Madison, Wisconsin

Last week I got the privilege to attend the US Transplant Games in Madison Wisconsin. The National Kidney Foundation sponsors these Olympic style games every 2 years in a different city. It was, according to the weather guys, hot and humid in Madison while we were there. I don't think 85 is hot and humid to someone who lives in Memphis. It was nice there every day, hot like 82-86 every day while it was 100+ in Memphis.



I went as Assistant Team Manager for Team Tennessee. I met a lot of great people and has a good time.


Here is University of Wisconsin Badger in an airport shop.


Here I am with Dolly the Dot. I can not remember why she was in the expo center or what company she was with. I did get a Rose Parade Organ Donation pin. The Donate Life Float people were there registering people to give a way a spot on the 2011 Rose Parade Float. You had to be a transplant recipient to enter. But it would be fun to go volunteer for the day at the Rose Parade. {Side note- going to the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game are on my list of things I want to do before I list.}

Team tailgate party before opening ceremonies. Our Team Table. It was a lot of hurry up and wait, and being Team Tennessee we were close to the end of teams marching in.


Getting Ready to March in during Opening Ceremonies.

The little boy in the picture here received a heart transplant at 2 weeks old and is from Utah. During opening ceremonies the mom of the heart donor sang "For Good" from Wicked. They announced that the donor's family meet this little boy and his family for the first time the day before at the games. It brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.

The Team Tennessee Basketball Team and our coaches. We won our first game but lost our second game.
Looking at Madison's State Capitol Bldg from the Monona Terrace

Donor Families from Tennessee
Most of the Athletes from Team Tennessee

No comments: